Thursday, July 24, 2014

beach

a couple of photo works that i submitted for the hand magazine. one was published. they were originally taken using a diana camera, which i'd modified to take 35mm film. i didn't do a brilliant job of that, as the light leaking wiped out most of the roll. a few shots were usable, though. by way of explanation, here's what i wrote for the hand magazine...

"When I was a student studying darkroom photography, I could never get the perfect print my tutors were always after. In the end, I realised that I just wasn't obsessive enough about the state of my negatives to do so. So I began to use my limitations as the feature of the work - drawing on the negatives, sandwiching scratched negatives together, exposing different areas for different times, putting my fingers all over the negatives and prints, all the things I wasn't supposed to do. I enjoyed it so much more, the results were so much better, and each print become an unrepeatable one-off. Embrace your weakness."


Beach A
Silver gelatin print - Photographed with Diana F+, modified for 35mm negative
298mm x 238mm
2014


Beach B
Silver gelatin print - Photographed with Diana F+, modified for 35mm negative
300mm x 239mm
2014

Original, one-off prints - AU$50 each (contact adrian@4-4-2music.com for details)


No comments: